Saturday, March 7, 2009

The End of The End of The Oregon Trail...

I begged for us all to get out of the house and that is just what we did. Since the threat of snow was upon us, we decided not to travel too far and headed to Oregon City. Sarah is putting together a unit plan on the Oregon Trail for school and we have been talking about visiting The End of The Oregon Trail Museum for awhile.

We arrived this afternoon and as we purchased our tickets, we were told today was the last day the museum (as well as the 2 other sister museums in Oregon City) would be open until further notice. The non-profit museum relies on donations to keep their doors open and since the economy isn't doing well, donations are down. The above picture is the front of the museum. The exhibit on display was on the migration to the Willamette Valley. There were so many stories of people who migrated to Oregon via The Oregon Trail.
I found the displays on the early schools of the area very interesting.

They had a display with an old picture of a teacher with his students. With the picture, was some toys as well as some playing cards which would have been forbidden at school.

The below is the list of the rules which were to be obeyed while in school. Josh had already broken #1! Playing with us girls was 4 lashes!

We expressed how sad we were since we were among the last crowd of the day - and who knows when the museum would reopen their doors.

3 comments:

Jennifer Evans said...

Nice to know that it was expected to treat girls kindly in those days. Look around us now!

Dave and Paula said...

I'm sorry too about the museums closing, we love to visit any kind of historical site! You three are always SO busy! And having so much fun, we are happy for you!

Your cards are fabulous, I look at them and wish I had a tenth of your creative talent. They really are beautiful!

Kate said...

That's really sad that it's closing.... :( That picture you took of the map is identical to one I took when we went to Oregon with Kelli! Brought back some memories......can't wait to see you in ONE WEEK!