-------------
Ok… my eyes have been opened. I am having a flash back to 2004 when Dave, Maile, and I all talked about the controversial Super Size Me documentary that had just been released onto DVD. After that conversation, I vetoed all fast food from my diet. Well, to be honest, I on occasion, would go to In & Out Burger. I just can’t resist a freshly made burger and fries from California’s famous burger joint. Oh …and the rare Kersey family get-together at Jack In the Box. How can you say no, when it’s Grandma’s family tradition? I stayed with the “no fast food” rule throughout dating Josh. If we went out, it had to be a sit down place and I really watched what I ate.
Today, I got to read the top 20 worst foods. Check out the list for yourself:
I had to break it to Josh that his ultimate favorite burrito, from Chipotle, is 1,179 calories. Yikes! Granted, Sarah and I often cut this bad boy in half since most people couldn't finish a whole burrito if they really tried – but even then, wowzers! I have to admit there are a couple of other yummies I enjoy that are on that list. I am sorry, but no more!
As you all know, I have set a few reachable goals for myself in 2009. Well, first Josh set the goals for us all but I have now really made them my own as well. I would really like to hike through some of the Oregon Mountains this summer without passing out from fatigue. I would love it if I could actually wear a day pack without falling over backwards. It would be super if I could lose 20 lbs in order to carry the extra 35 lbs it will take to camp outdoors for a few days.
I am being honest with you guys. There are times I want to indulge and have some chocolate. That’s ok. In moderation. It actually felt good to share some candy with the girls during our girls night; passing it between the three of us. I didn’t need to eat the whole box on my own – we even brought some home for Josh for when he felt better. I felt good just having some self control.
I have been going to the gym on a regular basis and I actually look forward to the workout. That surprises me the most. I actually enjoy it! It helps that I blast Super Chick and Sarah Kelly through my MP3 player. Praising God while working out…I always enjoy that and time really flies by.
Another motivation for me to exercise has been the dropping of some poundage. I have already lost 2 pant sizes in about 3 weeks. I told Sarah, if I had known I was going to see results this quickly I would have got my butt in gear a lot sooner! Granted, getting the stomach flu a few weeks ago started me in the right direction; ridding my body of everything right from the start so it was easier to start with smaller meal portions. Not a fun way to start off but it helped me curve my cravings for sugar and carbs. If I don’t have sugar or breads for a couple of weeks, the desire and cravings go away.
My favorite meal choices have been:
1. A fruit smoothie in the morning (w/ frozen fruit from Costco, a ½ cup or so of 100% fruit juice, a banana or pear, and an Activia yogurt).
2. Healthy Choice entrees with a tangerine for lunch
3. My favorite snacks I love are the 100% Fruit Leathers and Special K 90 calorie bars in strawberry, chocolate drizzle, and vanilla.
3. For dinner, I am eating smaller portions and watching my carb intake. I have cut out eating bread & butter and using salt with dinner.
Last night, Sarah and I were just hanging out in her office, sitting on her couch talking. I shared how while I am on the treadmill (fluctuating the incline from the lowest to the highest in training for our hiking trips – helps with balance and building muscle) I daydream and am taken back to when I went hiking with Dave and Jen – before Josh and I were married. We hiked up a trail and reached the top of this hill which overlooked the valley below where we could see the coast line. It was so beautiful. I remember we collapsed onto the grassy hill to rest before our decent and lady bugs started to land on our arms. The view was incredible. I want to have another one of those experiences. Sarah smiled at me. As she has been working out, she has been keeping her thoughts on our hikes last summer through Silver Falls.
I am so pleased! I finally finished The Winner. I have been reading that book for 3 months! I now can start reading my new Beth Moore book! Well, start looking at it anyway. Sarah and I are going to start this Ladies BS come February.
2 comments:
Just a word..sometimes those "healthy" frozen meals can have A TON of sodium in them! So, if you're watching your salt intake, beware. I'm shocked with how much salt are in some foods!
I'll remember that! It sure doesn't taste it - Healthy Choice tastes pretty bland but love how healthy everything tatses fresh instead of some of the other frozen meals.
Post a Comment