I have made it public to some of the ladies at my church that I would participate in the women’s ministries at my church. I knew if I made my vow vocal that I would do my best to follow through and not make excuses and then not get involved. I attended a ladies ministry meeting the Sunday before last and was welcomed warmly by the other women. They were eager to hear from the newcomers to the meeting and admitted that they were struggling to reach the younger women in the church and could use some fresh ideas. We spoke about some upcoming events and then the discussion moved to our church’s annual Mother’s Day Tea.
A couple of years ago I attended the Mother’s Day Tea with Jen after we were asked to decorate a couple of tables. Jen & I went together since our own mother was out of state at the time and Jen’s mother-in-law, Sharon, had to work. It was a bit awkward not being mothers and knowing that our own relationship with our mother wasn’t at its best. I thought it a little odd that the church called it A Mother’s Day Tea and encouraged that anyone was welcome. I just don’t know too many women who would go to an event for mothers when they themselves weren’t mothers or didn’t have a mother to bring. One thing that was awesome was that there were a lot of women who made this event a tradition with their daughters. I was amazed to see 3 or even 4 generations of women sitting together at their private tables. Not long after the opening announcements started I knocked over Jen’s tea cup right into her lap and made a dash home to pick up some clothes for her to change into. I arrived back to the church just in time to hear the guest speaker’s closing statement and the applause. Oh, well.
So, when the ladies at the meeting opened up the floor to discuss this year’s event, I couldn’t help but ask why we do not call the event a Ladies Tea this year instead? I explained the reason why I hadn’t attended the event in previous years. I was a little afraid how the
ladies would respond. One of the other younger new attendees agreed and admitted that the reason she hadn't gone to the tea in the past was because her own mother past away seven years ago. Mother’s Day was a difficult time for her. I admired her for speaking about it in front of the other ladies. There was also one woman who said it was a hard time for her since her mother was out of state and could never attend events like these. I further explained that by just changing the name of the event to a Ladies Tea, we could be opening our door to so many more women.
We talked about how as women we need to reach out to others and we need to learn from one another. Hazel, a godly woman who was one of the first women involved when Cascade View first started as a bible study in her home chimed in, “Dr. Phil says, women need women (for friendships)!” We all laughed! As the days have been going by since our meeting, I can’t help but think that’s so true! We as women need one another. We learn from one another. Like the bible says in Titus 2 , we should be teaching one another to gain insight about life, family, and motherhood. I know that I couldn’t do without the other women I have in my life. My friendships are dear to me and without them I think I wouldn’t be the same person. I know I wouldn’t see life in the same way as I do now. Can you imagine?
I wouldn’t laugh nearly as much!
Appreciate a garden during springtime.
Watching a chick flick by yourself just isn’t the same…especially if it is a 4 hr long flick!
Why is it when you shop with a friend, you have more fun and find better bargains?
Have gotten involved in half the things I have found I love to do!
You are always willing to try something new with a bosom friend by your side.
So the theme for this year’s tea is friendship. Women need women!
Love you all!
PS. Check out these articles:
http://blog.todayschristianwoman.com/walkwithme/2008/02/appreciating_laura.html
http://blog.todayschristianwoman.com/walkwithme/2007/05/diary_of_a_terrible_friendship.html
4 comments:
that's awesome! how i wish i could go and share a cup of tea with you! invite my mom!!!! :D
...yep, that would be a great idea! Yet, I am helping plan this event but I will be in Cali and won't be able to attend!
Hurrey, you will be in California with our mom, after my graduation! I am so excited!
love Sarah
ok, well, I'd rather you be in Cali!! Because you do realize that now that you'll be in the state we're going to kidnap you until you agree to return permanently!
Post a Comment