Thursday, December 17, 2009

We'll Be Home For Christmas....



We are another day closer to Christmas Day and being home with family. We have started counting the days and thanking God for the privilege and means for a vacation home for the holidays. The Grinder household is trying to keep Christmas gift giving simple this year. A gift’s value isn’t in dollars but rather the love and thoughtfulness from the giver. I heard a few of these “gift ideas” on KLOVE this morning and decided to share the entire list with you from their website (my notes are in italics).


1. Give the Gift of Listening – Really listen. No interrupting, no daydreaming, no planning your response. Just listening. With the hustle and bustle of Christmas, along with the normal every day things we must get done, slow down long enough to listen to your loved ones. Don’t miss the opportunity to show them you care by not just hearing them but by listening.

2. Give the Gift of Affection – Be generous with appropriate hugs, kisses, pats on the back and handholds. Let these small actions demonstrate the love you have for family and friends. The top wishes on my Christmas list is to receive some hugs from some special people in my life. Grandma is on the top of my Need A Hug list!

3. Give the Gift of Laughter – Clip cartoons, share articles, funny stories, and a good joke. Your gift will say, “I love to laugh with you.” Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for them." Psalm 126:2 (N IV) Even in tough times, God can bring joy and yes, even laughter!

4.  Give the Gift of a Written Note – It can be a simple “Thanks for the help” note or an “I appreciate you” note. A brief, handwritten note may be remembered for a lifetime, and may even change a life. We live in a world where we can connect with one another with a click of a button. Although this is true, I love it far more when I receive a handwritten love note, a crayon colored picture from a child, or a greeting card” just because”. Mailing a card or note, even if the recipient lives down the street from you, can say a million unspoken words.

5.  Give the Gift of a Compliment – Everyone needs encouragement. Mark Twain said, “One compliment can keep me going for a whole month.” I will forever remember the compliment given to me years ago by a Salvation Army bell ringer musician, as I walked into Target on my way to work. “What a joyful smile! Merry Christmas!” I remember that moment forever because I knew I radiated the Christmas spirit and joy I felt. It was Christmastime! I think it was during a Beth Moore study when she challenged us as women to complement what is on the inside then what is on the out. Anyone can say, “That’s a great dress you’ve got on! Very stylish!” Let’s think as Christ, who cares about the condition of our hearts! What characteristics can we chose to compliment. Compliments like that are sure to be remembered for a lifetime!

6. Give the Gift of a Favor – Go out of your way to do something kind for someone. Did you hear about the ladies who were in line to pay a moving violation in Germany? Imagine being in line to pay your fee when the person ahead of you pays for your ticket too. All because it was Christmastime. How about pretending with your kids, that you are Santa and deliver a random act of kindness to someone you know (remember the purpose of a RAK is that the recipient doesn’t know who the giver is). As a child, I loved going in to places of business, delivering cookies and singing Christmas carols. Who can resist listening to seven year old twin girls and their baby sister softly sing “We Wish You A Merry Christmas”?

7. Give the Gift of Solitude – There are times when we want nothing more than to have some peace and quiet. Be sensitive to those times, and give the gift of solitude to others. I can hear mothers everywhere yell out an “Amen!” and a “Hallelujah!”

8.  Give the Gift of a Cheerful Disposition – The easiest way to feel good is to extend a kind word to someone. It’s not hard to be polite and courteous, to say “hello” or “thank you.” As you are out and about, traveling from here to there, being squished in a checkout line somewhere, or on hold to talk to your provider for such and such – remember to give the gift of a cheerful disposition. As much as we want excellent customer service we, as consumers should treat the people serving us with respect. Many stories come to mind from my retail days… the top on the list is the lady who tried to run me over with her shopping cart. It was the day before Christmas and the isles were packed with shoppers. There was no place for me to go but up! I had to climb on top of a display shelf, while holding onto some peg hooks, to avoid any further injury. Just recently, at work, our receptionist was screamed at by a caller. The other lines were busy and they didn't want to wait to get a call back - it was ugly. People will say things over the phone they normally wouldn't say to someone's face. In the midst of the chaos, are you a light in the darkness?

By Lisa Williams at KLOVE (added notes by me)

4 comments:

Kate said...

all great ideas...but please do not show your Christmas spirit by holding my hand when we're in Santa Barbara! ;p Sorry...couldn't resist!! Our Christmas gift to each other can just be HAVING LUNCH WITH NO KIDS AROUND!!!!! though, that might be more of a gift for me, than you......

Jennifer Evans said...

Will miss you next week. You better bring your net book and take pictures everyday like last time. That way it will be like I am there with the beautiful Grinder family too.

Sean and Marisa said...

I know #1 means a lot to my husband; he feels disrespected when I (or someone else) don't listen to him.

So glad you get to see family this Christmas!!! Give my parents big hugs for me and Sean. :)

Anonymous said...

HOME FOR CHRISTMAS! That has such a nice ring to it! We can't wait!
- Mom