Sunday, February 8, 2009

Some of My New Favorite Things

My usual rule of thumb, since moving to Oregon, has been salad is a food we have in the spring and summer. Not in the cold fall and winter months. A salad doesn't sound too good when it is 30 degrees outside. During the icy evenings, I would rather curl up on the couch with a cup of soup and grilled cheese. My husband has been a great motivator for me to eat more healthy. He has been making these amazing salads (those who know Josh, know he can make a variety of tasty salads). I thought I would share a few since some of you live in climates where salad is something you can eat any time of year. Where as I have to motivate myself to pick up a fork.
Granted, these tasty salads are hard to pass up!

We have often had the salad above as our full meal. A little cheese and a quarter of a hard boiled egg for our protein.

Although, it isn't pictured, Josh makes a yummy carrot and cucumber salad. Carrots and cucumber chopped in thin strips with a Raspberry salad dressing Josh's mom introduced us to.

I also found out I love radishes. I never have but I guess radishes are something you acquire a taste for. Plus, I thought they were so pretty and reminded me that spring was just around the corner.

I love the simplicity of a baby greens, broccoli, and red cabbage salad.


Sarah has been my motivator when it comes to drinking water. I have always had a hard time drinking enough water and she keeps me on my toes reminding me to finish the glass I have started. When water just won't cut it, a favorite of mine is a bit of Peach Fresca with dinner. I love zero calories.
I am only human... the best thing I have tasted in weeks was a treat I had at Dave & Jen's today. Dave gave me a bit of this chocolate peanut butter yummyness bar he baked. I bit into it and it was so good. Yet, it tasted a bit like the Special K cereal bars I have been living off of for snacks - just better since it was covered in chocolate. I thought I was going a bit nuts, but what do you know, the bars are mixed with Special K cereal.
So, I have been at this a little over a month and I have lost 5lbs.
I am right on track to meet my goal come late spring (as long as I stay away from Dave's baking masterpieces)!

3 comments:

Kate said...

My secret healthy veggie...roasted veggies. My fave...roasted butternut squash. Cut and cube 1/2 of a butternut squash. Dribble a tablespoon or two of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika....roast at 375 until tender...DELISH with chicken breast! Plus, it's a little sweet....this works well with sweet potatos, green beans, carrots, etc....just go east on the olive oil!

Anonymous said...

As someone who has constantly had to fight the weight battle, I know how difficult it is. Five pounds! Way to go!! Nothing is harder than taking it off and then keeping it off, but I really do think it helps to focus on doing it for your health. For me anyway, my health is a better long term motivator than buttoning my skinny jeans. : ) And I am ADDICTED to Josh's carrot, cucumber, craisin salad with fat free Raspberry Pecan dressing. Yum!
- Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot! I also wanted to say that I, too, love roasted veggies. So many of the root vegetables are slightly sweet - like parsnips - and they're all so filling. One other "love" of mine is Chedder Cheese Mini Rice Snacks. No, they are NOT healthy, but when you just crave that crunchy/salty snack, they're a far less fattening choice than chips. So they're my compromise to a sometimes weak will. : )
-Mom