Wednesday, July 23, 2008

An Afternoon Walk...

Josh's half brother, Cameron (and wife Dani and their two boys Zach & Michael), are here visiting us from Cali. I love having company. We never could have so many people staying with us at the apartment. This is great! I am at work this week so I am missing the excitement and fun. Yesterday, they all decided to go to the Sproose Goose Aviation Museum. (Remember when we took the Padgett's there last January http://beccagrinder.blogspot.com/2008/01/we-loved-seeing-padgetts.html)? The boys didn't like that they couldn't see much of the inside of the Sproose Goose. The boys are 8 and 9 and all boy.
Cocoa is in fear of her life with all the extra company and hides behind the couch for most of the day. Josh had the boys take her on a long walk so they could get used to her and she could see who was boss. He showed them that they were in charge. We had a great casual dinner at our place last night. Afterward, Josh thought it would be a good idea if I walked Cocoa with the boys to the IGA (local little grocery market), in order for them to pick out a couple of movies. Good idea.
It was a good time for me to ask my nephews some questions about what they like to do and about the day. Zach walked Cocoa. The boys aren't too shy so they like to talk to me when I ask questions. I realized when we got to the IGA that one of the boys would have to wait outside with Cocoa. So, they took turns picking out a movie and as I was in line handing over my debit card, Zach comes running inside. His eyes are big, full of fear as he holds up the empty harness and leash and yells to me, "Cocoa got out of her leash! She is running away!" I drop the movies on the counter and run out the front doors with the boys. I can see Cocoa running through the parking lot making a made dash towards the street.
I then turn to the boys and ask them to wait for me right there at the front of the store, and I grab the leash from Zach and start running after her. I didn't think there was a chance I was going to catch her. I was hoping I could but new that there wasn't a chance. That dog can run at least 25 miles per hr! I did try and keep up, trying to get a look at what direction she was heading so I could have some idea of finding her later. I shook my head at myself for leaving the cell phone at home.
I watched her, as I ran, weaving in and out of traffic. Cars trying to avoid from hitting her. She was 2 blocks ahead of me when I saw a car interfere her, open their car door, close the door and then drive off down a side street. After that I couldn't see her. They must have picked her up. I stood there, out of breath, a reminder of how out of shape I am, defeated, and decide to head back to the store. Mind you, I had already run a good distance, but I knew the boys were waiting for me so, I ran back. As I arrived back at the IGA, Mike looked up at me while saying, " I didn't think you were ever going to come back for us." Heart breaker! I reassured him that everything would work out ok. I went inside the store and asked the owner if I could borrow the store phone to call my husband. Everyone at the store was so helpful. They felt sorry for the boys and for me since I know I looked like I had just ran a marathon. I finally got an outside line and called Josh. He hung up after saying he was on his way.
The boys were so worried that it was their fault. I assured them it wasn't. They said they hoped she wasn't lost forever because they liked her and she was a good dog. I agreed that I liked her too. It took Josh less than 5 minutes before he pulled up in our SUV. The boys piled in the back and I got in up front. I explained to him what had happened; that Cocoa got scared and wiggled out of her harness and I thought someone in a car has picked her up. He looked at me with compassion and said the sweetest words. "Cocoa is home." It turns out that as soon as Josh hung up the phone, he opened the back door and Cocoa ran right in. Josh said it was eerie.
She had ran straight home!
We got home and saw for ourselves. She looked guilty and I could be mad at her.

A few minutes later I ended up in my closet suffering from an asthma attack. I don't usually have problems breathing - but I don't sprint down Mill Creek Road running as fast I can either. My man is such a good man and started a steam shower for me to help me breath and within an hour I was playing the Xbox with the boys. We were now "tight" - we had gone through our trial together and we are closer because of it (reference from Dr. Gary Smalley).
I wish I could have seen myself running down the street. Granted the boys can out run me, no problem, but I saw Cocoa was heading out of the parking lot into traffic and definitely didn't want the boys to see Cocoa get hit by a car. I don't know what I would have done if she had been. I think that would have put a little damper in the boy's vacation and I am not sure if they would have ever come back to visit their Uncle Josh and Aunt Becca.
Everyone is now happy. Cocoa wasn't lost forever and the boys even forgave her for running away.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Oh my. That was way too intense to read at 7:30 in the morning, you had me scared. I'm sooooo glad everything worked out ok.