I started this book yesterday, during my lunch break, and laughed out loud while I read. Over and over again! Don't you just hate that? When you're in a room with someone who is reading a book and they laugh out loud? It bugs me. I mean, I hate not knowing what is so funny. What could possibly be that funny that would make you laugh out loud over and over again. I think Mr. Bean has a skit on that same scenario. Anyway, I was one of those people. Jen got me a book by Anita Renfroe called The Purse Driven Life - It Really Is All About Me. ATTENTION ALL LADIES: This is a must read. It is perfect for a road trip with your girlfriends (for those of you who can read in the car). So far, I am on page 75 and it isn't some mind boggling "deep" book. It is just what a girl needs to be reminded that we should live our lives with joy and it is ok to laugh at life and be the wonderfully amazing woman God made you to be.
I can relate to what she writes because either I do/think the same thing/the same way or I have a friend who does. She tells it like it is and it makes you laugh. Well, you blush first and then laugh. At the Women of Faith Conference, she had the whole auditorium roaring with laughter. I laughed so hard it hurt and as I looked around, I wasn't the only one wiping the tears of laughter away. Everyone in the Rose Garden auditorium was laughing. Women laughed so hard they were doing the knee slapping thing. There was a time I stopped making noise all together. Heads back and laughing so hard you thought perhaps you should have worn some Depends.
I love what she writes about women, our purse-ality and being a mom. Here is a little excerpt:
"Some girls are what I like to call "serial monogamists." These are the ones who will buy one purse & stick with it until it wears out. Only then will they give themselves permission to buy another one. They're also the type who will never move their furniture just for fun. These women are the sort that makes great friends, they are loyal to the death…I've been through lots of purse phases in my life. I had a solitary leather purse throughout my high school years & then several purse/backpack combinations throughout college. My diaper bag was my purse for about seven years of my kid's babyhoods. I then entered a strange phase where I had this cockeyed notion that a basket would make a great purse. During this time, I perpetually resembled Little Red Riding Hood. I was able to tote a lot, but no one can really respect a chick with her stuff in a basket. To over-correct this phrase, I shifted into the "Dayrunner Only" mode. (I think I was hoping that something would happen in my life that was worthy of writing down in my planner.) For the last several years, I have been in the "something a little short of a suitcase" mode. I love bucket bags that you can just dump all of your stuff into… I daily dump and regroup. My husband is mystified by this behavior. He also doesn't understand how my car can get so messy. I tried to explain that women just think of our automobiles as a mobile extension of our purse - a "Purse on Wheels," so to speak. There was a long shaking of the head...No matter how many books you read or classes you attend, almost all of parenthood is on-the-job training. I can tell you some of the stuff I learned, though. I learned that if you need to hide a birthday or Christmas present from a child, you can stick it in the dishwasher. No child looks in there for anything (You can apply the same principal for husbands. It seems that there is some sort of force field that makes things invisible to the male eye if you place an item directly behind the milk on the top shelf of the refrigerator.) I learned that no matter what any beautiful brochure tells you about a vacation spot, absolutely nothing is fun for the whole family. Write it down: someone will suffer."
So, need a giggle in-between diaper changes or during lunch breaks? Pick up a copy of this book. A quick read but one I think you will read again and again. I know I will and hopefully, the people around me at the time, won't be annoyed that I'll be laughing out loud!
No comments:
Post a Comment