Monday, June 4, 2007


So, Josh and I are shopping for the house and are trying to pick some colors... what do you think? Originally, we were going for some dark colors for the cabinets but the dark stains are too much $$$. The kitchen is pretty big so every penny counts. We are looking at this house as an investment. So, I would love your opinion and could use some advice!




One thing I am having a hard time on is choosing granite colors for the countertops. Help!

6 comments:

Jennifer Evans said...

The top left or bottom right suits your styles more. Are the cabinets too light?

Rebecca Grinder said...

The cabinets will be a lot lighter then what we were looking at before. The color will go with our flooring.

Anonymous said...

I find granite especially hard to pick out because many of the natural patterns seem so "busy" to me. Now that your cabinets will match your floors, I think you should go with a black countertop. It will add that dark element that "pops." - Mom

Jennifer Evans said...

I agree with Josh's mom. She is a wise woman. I have been watching too much HGTV... granite shows seams more than alternative counter tops as well. You should go with a black since it would go with the style of your home and all the other black furniture. You might want to bring attention to the island as the center of the kitchen. With light cabinets your eyes could go to that right away without a color difference in the counters. Did I mention that your mom is very wise?

Kate said...

Hmmmm....i wish i could be there in person! but my advice....me being the hgtv junkie...is this. I personally like the lighter granite colored counters. I think that if you go semi dark with your cabinets that your counter tops should be lighter. the in laws have granite and it looks nice with the hardwood floors. plus you can always accent your kitchen with black accessories, or appliances. and stainless always looks good with granite. i don't like the black sink with the black granite..that's for sure! but I think you get too much black and it's going to suck in the room. the lighter granite (at least in the pic) seems to make the room seem airy.....

Jennifer Evans said...

Maybe Kati is right... will too much black make the room seem to small? I don't think I am much help. I keep on changing my mind. It would be better to see it in person. I am so glad you are building a home and not me! I can barely choose what to wear in the morning, let alone a kitchen!