Earlier this week, on the radio, they were talking about a study that proved that memory and the sense of smell are tied together. It was a proven fact that when kids studied after smelling a bunch of roses, and then roses were put into the child’s room after they were asleep, when they awoke and could recall more accurately the studied material. I should have thought of that trick while in school!
I always knew the sense of smell was tied to memory. For example, the scent of a certain kind of soap takes me back to my grandmother’s room and reminds me of the set of three kisses she used to give me on my cheek. The smell of Estee Lauder’s Youthdew reminds me of my mother and how I could smell her scent, as she was getting ready in the morning, even after she had left the room. This week it has been happening more often then normal. I am taken back to the Johnston’s home every morning while I am taking a shower because I now use Dove shampoo; their household favorite. Josh thinks this is something more common in women. I wonder. I don’t know if it’s because it’s spring that I am remembering so much of the past. There are so many smells and sounds that are new after a long winter!
Josh and I haven’t bought a new CD for a long while now. We were talking about it this morning and it has been over a year. Most of the CDs we have are from before we were married and to be honest, we haven’t listened to those for awhile either. I was on lunch yesterday and headed toward the post office to mail some letters. I popped one of my favorite CDs that Deborah bought me while she was in Canada. It was amazing that when I put that CD in and the music started to play, I had a flash back to when I was working at the Heritage Heart and the song would play on the little boom box in the shop. It is so amazing how a sound or scent can rewind time in your mind to recall the past.
All of these recollections are for the most part happy… but my heart aches and I even have tears in my eyes writing this. I guess there are times I miss the family and friends that are tied to those memories. I got to day dreaming today and was thinking about how the Englers were heading to a wedding this evening. I started thinking about my wedding and how hard it was to say goodbye to Maile, Kati, and Brooke. How hard it was for them to say goodbye to us. I think deep down inside we knew it was the last time we would all be together for a long long time. Well… to leave this evening on a happy note, we won’t have to wait too much longer! I am looking forward to our trip to Cali this summer. I really have got to tie down a date and talk with Matt and Deborah to find out when they head out to Israel. We have got to get to Santa Maria before then!
Night!
1 comment:
ok, i got a little misty eyed with this blog.....*sniff sniff*
Post a Comment